Church of Fámjin


The church in Fámjin was inaugurated in 1876. The first Faroese flag hangs on a wall inside the white, elegant build-ing. The worn yet instantly recognisable original version is a national relic. The blood-red cross, surrounded with azure blue colour on a white field, is inspired by the Nordic cross flags. It was designed by local resident Jens Olivur Lisberg in 1919.
The flag, called “Merkið” in Faroese, has flown proudly since it was officially recognised in 1940.

Church services are on Sundays at 12am. Servises take about 1 hour, please sit for the full service.


Fámjinsvegur 1
870 Fámjin

Opening hours