The Runic Stone

the runic stone is an ancient finding from around year 1200. Mikkjal á Ryggi, a famous local writer, translated the old Norse writing into Faroese and the stone is now kept and preserved in the Churc

In the spring of 1917, a local farmer named Martin á Mýruni made a great finding. He discovered an ancient runic stone in the area Eingjatoftir, between Sandar and Steig, in Sandavágur. The Runic Stone was from about year 1200. Mikkjal á Ryggi, a famous local writer, translated the ancient writing on The Runic Stone into Faroese. The translation reads:  "Torkil Onundarson eystmaður av Rogalandi bygdi henda stað fyrst" which can be translated into something like: “Torkil Onundarson from Rogalandi built this place first” Today, the Runic Stone is now preserved and presented in the Church of Sandavágur

Eysturoy